Sunday 9 June 2013

Roses Topper

My sister gave me a nice chest of drawers a wile back.  It has different sized drawers and is great for storing different size cuts of fabric, scraps in the little drawers, fat quarters in the middle size and metres in the bottom large drawers.  I also keep baskets on the top with interfacing and batting etc.

My sister had had the drawers some time and they could really do with rubbing down and painting - perhaps a project for the summer?  In the mean time, however, I decided to pretty them up with a little topper.  This is the exact size of the top of the chest (so I can't wash it in case it shrinks!)

I used some cotton sheeting as the beige solid and 2 fat quarters from Hobbycraft's bargain bin (the rose print).  I don't know what it is as it had no selvage print.

My points are a bit off, but the quilting disguises it nicely and it was a really good practice piece for half square triangles.

I used a bought binding, but have seen comments on other blogs since that this is a BAD THING.  I would really appreciate feedback on why this is, I found it really useful.  I guess it will bleed when I wash it, but I also used bought orange bias binding when I made pot holders from the last Zakka-a-long - it is so much easier for circles, and that washes fine.

Ali

2 comments:

  1. I love what you've done with the quilting on this one. Sorry, can't answer your question about the binding - if it works for you though what's the problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catrin is right, the quilting looks fab, and i haven't used bought binding, not sure why it's a problem- I think people think it's unnecessarily expensive seeing as you don't need it to be biased for quilts, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete