Sunday 2 June 2013

Quilting for Boys - Part 2

 
This is the quilt I made for DS1.  I was inspired by (blatantly copied) this quilt at Cluck Cluck Sew.  The sashing etc is Kona Ash and most of the rest is a fat quarter bundle I bought at Fabric Inspirations.  My DS1 has always been interested in robots, space and making things so I thought this would suit him.  When I made up the top I found it was too short for his bed so I added pieced strips to each end.  These ended up being one of my favourite bits!

This quilt was made before I worked out how to FMQ and that was really what it needed.  I therefore shadow quilted it inside the blocks with crosses on some of the bigger blocks.

The binding is the same as on my Shirt Quilt and Rainbow quilt and is from a really really cheap duvet cover I bought in Tesco.  I used the same binding as a) Navy and white stripe goes with everything, b) I wanted the 3 quilts to match as they are our family quilts.

Things I learnt this time:
  1. It is important to cut exactly - I didn't.
  2. Quarter inch seams would be easier with a quarter inch foot - I didn't have one.
  3. I should have squared off the blocks before sewing together - I didn't!

Ali

2 comments:

  1. You're right, a quarter inch foot really makes life a lot easier. I paid around £10 for mine and pound for pound it's one of the best things I've bought sewing wise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ali, I'm visiting from the small blog meet. I work in my boys school to feed my habit too! I love your quilts and the triple zip bag is gorgeous! I've not done zips before - I need to give it a try! I can't see your Blogger follower button (i'm not on bloglovin) but will definitely bookmark your blog :o)

    ReplyDelete