Friday 16 August 2013

Surprisingly Pink

I have been able to get quite a lot of sewing done this week as I am still off school (work) for the summer holidays.  Firstly I needed a new bag as I ruined my last one.  I had fallen in love with the Anna Maria Horner field study linens and so ordered some from the US.  It cost me a fortune, but what could I do - it was love after all!

I wanted to showcase the print so the bag is BIG, but I will use it for work where I need to be able to carry all of the post as it is not collected from our school so I am quite happy with the size.  I didn't use a pattern as it is a really simple shape.

This is the front of the bag - you can tell that by the rings.

 
 
This is the back, using a different part of the pattern for interest.


 
This is the inside.  I used Kona solids for this as I didn't want a pattern to detract from the outside.  Tricky photo this one.  There is a zipped pocket for my phone.  I keep my purse and camera in an open pocket which is as wide as the bag, and top stitched for an inch in the middle to stop it gaping.  There is also a key fob.  That light blue rectangle in the bottom is where I ran out of the darker blue but I am claiming it as a design feature.  There is a full zip accross for security which I inserted into a strip in the same sort of way that you do for zipped pockets in linings, except that I did it twice so that the zip is covered by the lining too.




 
 
Another thing I have been working on is my 'free' quilt made from Tilda charm packs.  This has inspired the title of the post as when I was making the HSTs I thought the colours were mainly blue and white with some pink.  When I laid it out on the floor to decide how to put it together I was surprised by how pink it is - how did I miss that?


Pink is not something I have a lot of in this house as I am so outnumbered with even the pet tortoise being male, so it is a nice surprise.

I don't know what this zig zag pattern is called (zig zags perhaps :) !) but I have tried (within the limits of the charm packs) to alternate values as this is something I have not tried before.

I read somewhere (sorry, can't remember where) that you should view in black and white to check for value so here is a B&W version of the photo.  I think the far right row is the only dodgy one value wise, but it is my favourite combo in colour so is staying.


Ali 

5 comments:

  1. Your bag is amazing! really puts my recent effort to shame.

    As for your pink quilt? As soon as I saw it I thought 'Oh, it's a value quilt' so you must have gotten it right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bag. I made an aeroplane with the same AMH linen. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bag Ali - yummy fabrics, any chance of finding any in the UK??

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a bag you could buy at Urban Outfitters or Anthropologie. Seriously. Very well done! I feel covetous! I'm amazed that you didn't have to use a pattern.

    I've been resisting those AMH linens but I have a feeling I won't make it too much longer without buying some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That bag is amazing! Love the fabric choice<3 Value quilt looks fab too. I really want to try one of these.

    ReplyDelete