Friday 28 June 2013

Paper Rose Garden

 
I finally finished my Paper Roses cushion.  I bordered it with some more Simply Colour ombre and then more Essex linen.  I quilted it with tiny pebbles (gravel?) around the outside and in a trellis pattern around the rose.  The idea was that this would be like a rose garden.


This is the first time I have tried to do free motion pebbles and next time I shall make them a bit bigger as it took forever and used 2 bobbins of thread.   I didn't quilt the rose or coloured borders, mainly because I couldn't work out how to do it and less is more - right?


The back is just charm squares in a simple 9 patch.  I put the pink one in the middle to reference the rose on the front.  I love those chevrons especially the green - it is so fresh!  I might just love the back more than the front.


I had an audience when I took these photos - clearly my kids aren't shy!  Perhaps I should let them back in the house???





Not all has gone well today though.  I took a can of pepsi to work with me today in my handbag.  When I went to get to get it at lunch I found this:


Somehow the can had developed tiny hole (keys?) and had spent the morning leaking gently into my SUEDE handbag.  It is soaking wet and so is everything in it. 

I love this bag.  I made it from a skirt I found in a charity shop for £3.  I then spent about £30 on extra bits of leather to make the flowers and hearts, but it is the inital saving which counts, right?  It is was so soft with the most gorgeous Michael Miller lining.

Anyone get any tips on how to get pepsi out of suede?

Linking with Crazy Mom Quilts, My Quilt Infatuation and Live a Colourful Life.

It is also the new bloggers blog hop day.  Todays bloggers are: (insert drumroll)


Green @ So Sew Green

Gwendellyn @ The Rainbow Revolts
Michelle @ Factotum Of Arts
Kris @ Sew Sunshine
Camilla @ Faffling
Ali





12 comments:

  1. I love your rose cushion, perfect for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the rose pillow! As for the bag, I want to say baking soda bath and let it soak but I really could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, it just makes me sick to look at that fantastic purse soaking in Pepsi! :( on the plus side, your rose pillow looks amazing- whew! that is a LOT of pebbling. I think it was a great choice not to add any quilting to the rose. It gives it a soft look. Thank you so much for linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your rose pillow looks fabolous and I´m so sorry for your bag!
    Hope that helps:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_10057783_soda-stains-out-suede-chair.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was waiting to see that rose all finished up! And the quilting is superb! Love the symbolism - gravel and trellis. And the back is sweet, too! Sorry about your lovely purse... I have no solutions...

    Lorna:)
    http://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. ugh - take it to a dry cleaner that does suede and leather

    I love the rose pillow - can I ask where the pattern for it came from?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rose pillow is adorable. I know what you mean about quilting pebbles -so labor intensive. Your quilting is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course, your rose pillow turned out gorgeous. The quilting looks great. I love the "frame" around the rose, too--adds rhythm to the design. Nice finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That paper piecing is amazing, beautiful colour sense and great for a cushion. The back is really effective too, in a totally different way. Too nice not to be seen- you have two cushions there really!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that rose. It looks really complicated. I second the suggestion to take the pepsied purse to a dry cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful little flower pillow

    ReplyDelete