Monday 5 August 2013

Happy Days

First of all I have a finish!

This is my Illusion mini.  I have posted about this before at various stages so don't want to bore anyone, but I am really pleased with it.  I used a Simply Colour Ombre jelly roll to make diamonds, which make hexagons, which look like cubes.

I quilted the white borders to echo the shapes and then hand quited selected diamonds with matching DMC thread to make triangles (well Mitsubishi symbols really) and flowers.  I make that 5 shapes from one!



You can see the quilting better in these pictures (oh, and that line on the diamond on the right - blood - I kept pricking my fingers when hand quilting!)  The binding is another jelly roll strip, cut in half to make it long enough, hence it is really skinny.




Sorry for the lack of posts, we have been away in Spain for a family holiday.  I didn't like to say we were going away before we went as I didn't want to advertise an empty house.  Most of our week was spent by the pool which we almost always had to ourselves.  The beach was close by but the kids preferred the pool and, as they are old enough and good enough swimmers to not have to watch all the time, I got 5 books read - bliss. 

 
 
While I was away I missed the last week of the Lets Get Acquainted Blog Hop organised by the lovely Beth of Plum and June.
 
The last of the lovely lassies are:

July 26
Vicki @
A Quilter's Mission
RobinSue @ RobinSue Quilts
Elisa Lea @ Lovelea Designs
Elizabeth @ In The Boon Docks
Jenny @ A Note To Follow Sew
Lorna @ Sew Fresh Quilts
Sonia @ Fabric & Flowers
Emily @ Sew E.T.
Em @ Sewing by Moonlightg
Go visit them as they all make the most lovely things.

Linking up with Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story and Sew Cute Tuesday at Better off Thread.

Ali

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful finish! Love all the little details. Especially like that you showed a picture of the quilting from the back. Glad you had a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a great use of the ombre fabrics, and the quilting is really perfect!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I really like these hexagons. The quilting is also lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful mini! Love the colors and the quilting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm currently in the process of making my first quilt (I have been at it for about two years now) and it includes a similar design to this. I chose three different shades of colour for my diamonds, trying to create the dented in effect of beeswax, but most people see it as cubes :)

    Great job. I love that it freaks your son out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your illusions quilt. fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome! I would love to make one of these. I love the quilting you did on it as well!

    ReplyDelete